Tow truck drivers in Queensland ‘putting lives on the line’ to help drivers,

May 2026
tow trucks ... Queensland is going back on complying with ‘slow down’ laws, the RACQ ays. Photo: RACQ
Queensland is going back on complying with ‘slow down’ laws, the RACQ ays. Photo: RACQ

Tow truck drivers are averaging more than one near-miss a week on Queensland roads as they get out to help stranded drivers.

The finding from motoring organisation RACQ came out a day after police say a woman was killed on Monday after exchanging details roadside for a minor crash (see details below).

The RACQ says their data shows that from November 2025 to April 2026, there were 29 dangerous near-misses involving tow truck drivers helping motorists; this was more than triple the number during the same period the year before that.

The RACQ also released footage, caught on vehicle dashcams, of drivers just missing roadside workers and tow truck drivers.

Deputy Chief Executive Glenn Toms says the footage is some of the most concerning he has seen; click here to view the footage.

TOW TRUCK DRIVERS IN PERIL

“Our hardworking and selfless roadside operators, along with those from other organisations, are there to help when you need it most. The least motorists can do is move over and slow down,” he says.

“They are out there saving Queenslanders every day from dangerous and vulnerable situations; we can’t have motorists making these situations worse by not following their obligations to give them safe space.”

Toms says they began pushing for ‘Move Over Slow Down’ laws in 2017 after 90% of members called for action.

“It is really disappointing to know Queensland is going backwards,” he says.

“The law is simple – if you see flashing lights on the roadside, move over and slow down.”

The RACQ says that so far this year, there have been 127 deaths on state, up 28.3% on last year, with the toll likely to pass 330 deaths if nothing is done.

Toms said the rising road toll and disregard for roadside safety laws speaks of a broader behavioural issue on the roads.

“Queensland is on track for another one of its deadliest years in recent history.

“These incidents show the risks aren’t limited to drivers and passengers – they extend to the people working to keep our motorists safe and our roads moving,” he says.

“Every one of these close calls could have ended in tragedy. Slowing down and moving over isn’t just the law – it’s about protecting lives.”

LOGANHOLME DEATH

Meanwhile, Queensland Police say that a woman was struck and killed on a motorway at Loganholme on Monday (May 18).

They report that at about 3.40pm, the drivers of a white Audi A1 and a black MG Zs had pulled over to exchange details after a minor crash on the Pacific Motorway, northbound before Exit 30.

The Audi driver, a 32-year-old Parkinson woman, was returning to her vehicle when she was struck by a beige Holden Rodeo ute and died on the scene, police say; they are talking to the ute driver, an 18-year-old Boronia Heights man.

The road was closed to all traffic then reopened just after 8.30pm.

Investigations are continuing. Anyone who witnessed the incident or who has relevant vision is urged to contact police.

You can contact Policelink by providing information using the online suspicious activity form 24 hour a day at www.police.qld.gov.au/reporting or call 131 444.


EARLIER RACQ NEWS: electric scoot, bike device claims are rising

Scroll to Top